Below are the top 10 facts about Mary
1. Apparitions (supernatural appearances) of Mary have been reported in every era in history and every country in the world.
2. Dante* said that Mary's face is the one that most closely resembles the face of Christ.
3. The early church fathers compared Eve to Mary. As Eve was the mother of humanity who fell into sin, Mary was the mother of a new humanity.
4. The Christian representation of Mary helped early converts from paganism connect with the Church.
5. Mary is regarded as a helper for those who grieve and to those who are in need of comfort. Grieving parents have taken comfort in her because she lost her own child in a tragic way.
6. Despite the widely secular nature of the twenty-first century, pilgrimages to Marian sites seem to be increasing in frequency.
7. Many of the earliest churches devoted to Mary were built on old pagan holy sites.
8. Despite Mary's significant place in the lives of the Christian faithful for centuries, she is mentioned less in the Bible than in the Koran.
9. Many scholars think that Mary may have only been thirteen or fourteen years old when she gave birth to Jesus.
10. Mary has garnered the praise of writers such as Dante, Jack Kerouac, Flannery O'Conner, and Sue Monk Kidd.
*Dante - The famous 14th century Italian poet and versatile writer. Certain people in power did not like his writings and therefore exiled him from the society at the age of 36. It was during his exile he wrote the epic poem 'Divine Comedy' - considered as one of the greatest classics in all western literature. In 'Divine Comedy', Dante describes his travel through hell, purgatory and heaven.